DESCRIPTION OF TRAINING CONTENT
This course is ideal for all those working in the field of education (primary, secondary and university teachers, university staff (academic & admin), adult educators, trainers & coaches) who want to improve their level of spoken and written English. It aims to give participants an overview of English grammar and vocabulary with special focus on acquiring and improving language skills in a dynamic and communicative way, through individual, pair and group work.
Course participants are provided with a combination of online resources, a variety of media and authentic and interesting texts. Emphasis is placed on developing the strategies for effective listening, reading and speaking in both informal and formal settings.
Upon completion, participants should be able to demonstrate improved comprehension, accuracy and fluency, which will enable them to participate in activities appropriate to academic and professional settings.
This course although structured, is designed to be flexible and can be adapted to suit the specific needs of the participants.
Important note: ‘English for Educators: advance your career (Level I)’ course is for teachers/educators and administrative workers who have an Elementary (A2) up to Intermediate (B1) level of English, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
• Improve communication skills in English
• Understand the structures of English language and develop vocabulary and fluency
• Enhance self-confidence in spoken English in educational as well as professional setting
• Seize opportunities for cooperation with peers on international level
English is the most widely-used language in the world, in all aspects of communication whether spoken or written. For work, pleasure or study, the need to actively communicate in English is growing constantly and is based on increasing global connectivity and people’s desire to improve their life opportunities. Moreover, it is essential for education and all kinds of jobs whether government or private.
Nowadays, there are very few universities and colleges in the world where English is not the only language used for scientific research. Another reason that emphasizes its importance is the fact that it is very difficult for someone to apply to study abroad without the knowledge of English.
Needless to mention is that many employees nowadays are expected to demonstrate competence in English language and strong computer skills. The same goes for the use of internet in Education. Search engines and social media can prove to be the best places to gain information and updates about career and study programmes; to use them one must have at least basic knowledge of English, since 50 % of internet content is written in English.
Therefore, good command of English language is very important for both career and education, as well as for communication in today’s globalized social and working environments. It is not just the question of staying competitive, but also of remaining relevant.
Who to attend ENG1?
The ENG1 course is ideal for:
• School principals & directors (primary & secondary)
• Teachers (primary & secondary)
• Academic staff (tertiary)
• Directors working in a multi-national environment
• Team leaders and team members
• Professionals interested in improving their English
• Trainers delivering courses/workshops in English
– Introduction and course overview
– Individual expectations – setting up the course goals
– Stages of language learning process
– Short presentation about English language
– Teaching techniques and methods; ICT in the classroom
– Expanding vocabulary for educators; discussing the importance of a national language and the practice of learning foreign languages in different countries
– Setting up the task for individual or group presentations for the final day
– Question and Answer session for clarification of methods and language structures discussed on day 1
– Introduction to basic grammar
– Sentence and text formation
– Developing language skills; learning how to learn
– Learning techniques and methods: developing speaking skills while practicing speaking in groups and pairs
– Expanding vocabulary for educators; discussing individual learning styles and teaching approaches – what kind of a learner/educator are you
– Question and Answer session for clarification of methods and language structures discussed on day 2
– Description and comparison
– Learning techniques and methods: developing writing skills; coherence and cohesion
– Learning techniques and methods: developing listening skills using songs and recordings
– Listening session (exercise)
– Expanding vocabulary for educators; discussing motivation in the classroom and active learning
– Question and Answer session for clarification of methods and language structures discussed on day 3
– Learning techniques and methods: developing reading skills – skimming and scanning
– Reading session (exercise)
– Word transformation (exercise)
– Focus on pronunciation; the most common sounds of English language
– Expanding vocabulary for educators; discussing benefits of asking questions and self-reflection
– Carrying out the week’s task: Developing one’s learning plan including methodology and materials
– Building self-confidence; using English in Formal settings – i.e. meetings, classroom, conferences
– Body language (exercise)
– Delivery and Feedback
– Summary – goals review
– Reflections – Evaluation
METHODOLOGY OF THE COURSE – ADDED VALUE
The methodology of the training is based on a combination of three important elements:
- Provision of knowledge required (theory)
- Use of training tools, such as case studies, videos, games, animations & exercises (practice – hands on experience)
- Feedback/reflection (review)
BENEFITS TO PARTICIPANTS – SKILLS & COMPETENCES
The course is ideal for a wide range of educators/teachers and professionals who wish to improve their English language skills. ‘English for Educators: advance your career (Level I)’ course is for teachers/educators who have an Elementary (A2) or Pre-intermediate (A2/B1) level of English and wish to improve their oral fluency in English as well as their capability to participate actively in business meetings, where English is the official working language.
Upon completion, participants in this course will be able to:
- Improve their oral fluency in English including phrasing, intonation and rhythm
- Speak English more articulately
- Be capable to participate in business meetings where English is the official language
- Gain self-confidence in speaking in formal settings where English is the working language.
- Certificate of attendance & certificate of competence